Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: John Mackie <jmackie_at_pop.jaxnet.com>
Date: 1996/07/12

In article <31e54501.0_at_dns.amsinc.com>, Edward_Hillman_at_mail.amsinc.com (Ed Hillmann) wrote:
>I compared Delphi, PowerBuilder, Jam and Developer 2000 for my project at work.
>
>We are converting our dos app from Jam 5 to Windows NT. What I found (and
>these things are so hard to keep objective) is that Delphi was the better tool.
>
>PB and Delphi are very close, and using it would not have been bad. But,
>Delphi is faster, much more flexible (making your own components, etc), and
>generally, for our purposes, had more to offer us than PowerBuilder did.

Not with regards to accessing databases. Delphi cannot yet compete with the Datawindow.

>I would not have used Jam. The only reason I would use Jam is if your
>application needs to be easily portable between operating systems. If you are
>planning to stay only in Windows, stick to PB or Delphi. If you want to run
>the same app in Windows, and say X-Windows in a Unix environment with only
>recompiling and SOME small changes, consider Jam. That is Jam's strength, but
>it falls short feature-wise.
>
>After using Jam for the last few years, I've become a big Delphi fan. Again,
>PB isn't bad, but I think Delphi has taken the development tool many steps
>further. It is very stable (anyone who works alot in PB can relate to frequent
>
>GPF's), VERY fast (Delphi 2 executables have only been beaten by apps compiled
>by Watcom C++), and very easy to use (this, of course, is MHO).

Interesting you should mention Watcom C++. PowerBuilder 5.0 allows you to compile to native code - it uses the Watcom C compiler to create the executable. I can't argue on the stability issue, this has been the achilles heel for PowerBuilder. If PowerSoft could make the development anvironment stable they would truely have a world-class product.