Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Ed Hillmann <Edward_Hillman_at_mail.amsinc.com>
Date: 1996/07/11

I compared Delphi, PowerBuilder, Jam and Developer 2000 for my project at work. We are converting our dos app from Jam 5 to Windows NT. What I found (and these things are so hard to keep objective) is that Delphi was the better tool. PB and Delphi are very close, and using it would not have been bad. But, Delphi is faster, much more flexible (making your own components, etc), and generally, for our purposes, had more to offer us than PowerBuilder did.

I would not have used Jam. The only reason I would use Jam is if your application needs to be easily portable between operating systems. If you are planning to stay only in Windows, stick to PB or Delphi. If you want to run the same app in Windows, and say X-Windows in a Unix environment with only recompiling and SOME small changes, consider Jam. That is Jam's strength, but it falls short feature-wise.

After using Jam for the last few years, I've become a big Delphi fan. Again, PB isn't bad, but I think Delphi has taken the development tool many steps further. It is very stable (anyone who works alot in PB can relate to frequent GPF's), VERY fast (Delphi 2 executables have only been beaten by apps compiled by Watcom C++), and very easy to use (this, of course, is MHO).

But, nothing beats your own review... get some evaluation copies. All three companies will be happy to give you one (well, mebbe not PowerSoft), but figure out what's important to you, write them down, and try to collect as much nifo on those specific criteria. If you don't focus down no, it can be impossible to make a decision *been there :)*

Hope this helps,
Ed

In article <4rtnnf$osk_at_nw101.infi.net>, dswaney_at_norfolk.init.net says...