Re: Implicit Cursor & Explicit Cursor

From: Corry Retzke <retzke_at_i-d.com>
Date: 1996/07/10

Jason Hang wrote:

> Hi Everybody in [Comp.Databases.Oracle]
> Would like to know if anybody has experience a performance difference
> when using an explicit cursor as opposed to an implicit cursor.
> Is explicit cursor faster than implicitly cursor in a PL/SQL stored
> procedure?
> By the way, any news or rumor when Oracle8 will be out?
>
> Thank You.
>
> Jason Hang.

Explicit cursors incur less overhead both in server time and network traffic. Because of compliance with and ANSI standard, implicit cursors actually do an extra 'FETCH' with each iteration to make sure whether the exception 'TOO_MANY_ROWS' needs to be raised (as when a single-row query returns multiple rows).

As far as performance goes, I reduced response time DRAMATICALLY in a Forms 4.5 application by converting all IMPLICIT cursors to EXPLICIT. Received on Wed Jul 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message