Re: Forms 3.0 Problem

From: Ms. D.H. Harvey <qq45_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/07/05

Andre Fernandes Vincent (avincent_at_unisys.com.br) wrote:
: I am facing a tough problem, in Forms 3.0, RDBMS 7.1.3 and
: HP-UX 9.
: The problem is the error FRM-40900: Cannot allocate register
: buffer. It happens in forms having multi-record blocks.
: If the query retrieves more then 10 to 20 records, i get
: the error, and not all records that should, are, effectivelly
: retrieved.
: I have tried to change the parameter records buffered (block
: definition in the forms), but it didn't fix the problem. It
: sure changes the behaviour, but does not solve the problem.

: I have created a table, containing four columns, all
: varchar2 (18). I inserted records with:
: insert into table
: select rowidtochar (rowid), ..., rowidtochar (rowid) (4 times)
: from table_with_+1000_rows
: where rownum < 800

: Then, I created a form (with the default block feature),
: with a block that displays 14 records.

: I run the forms, do Enter query and execute query, to
: retrieve all the rows. I start to do page downs in
: my form and, when i am around 300 records (always in the
: same record), it stops with the error
: FRM-40900.

: Can anybody help?

: Thanks a lot!

: Andre Vincent
: Software Design

A long time ago we experienced similar when running Forms 2.3. It turned out that when a form tried to retrieve more than a certain number of rows if used, by default, a temp directory as a holding location for the rows. /tmp, /var/tmp don't remember which, but whichever, it had lost its write permissions.

Believe there is an environmental variable you can use to change the default location, but memory once again fails me as to what it is.

Hope this of help?

Helen Received on Fri Jul 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message