Re: Query and UPPER function

From: Bjoern V. Karlsen <bjornk_at_softinn.no>
Date: 1996/07/03

surman_at_oracle.com (Scott Urman) wrote:

>I would either put a trigger on the table which will force last_name and
>first_name to be uppercase whenever a row is inserted, or add two other
>columns upper_first_name and upper_last_name which are always in upper case.
>You can enforce the upper case restriction (whichever field you use) by using
>a before insert or update row level trigger.

Could you (or someone listening) please share with me The Official Oracle Explanation for not building case insensitive searches into the engine? The response I'm getting from the Oslo office here in Norway indicates that they've never seen modern administrative systems... Most fields searchable (200 tables), integration with text processors (all-uppercase banned), ...

Tandem fields (actual data + search fields) would practically double our databases - no solution.
UPPER() in searches not acceptable (response time).

We are practically forced to install case sensitive & force upper/lower when customers are buying Oracle to go with our systems IF we are to keep speed/size within reasonable measures.

Any solutions in sight?

---
Bjørn V. Karlsen               bjornk_at_softinn.no
Senior Systems Developer, Software Innovation as