Re: C Programming API for Oracle ?

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1996/07/02

In article <aak2.836294166_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>, aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) writes:

|> We are considering moving to Oracle. We are currently
|> using msql and are running into limitations.
|>
|> But ofcourse the nicest thing about msql is, that we have
|> the source to this application available to us if we ever
|> want to make any changes to it etc.
|>
|> Our first major concern is a C Programming API. Is there
|> such a thing available for Oracle ? They have it for msql
|> and we made extensive use of it and before we can port our
|> current apps over we would need to plan on how we're going
|> to access Oracle data from our programs.
|>
|> Thankyou very much for any help any of you can provide.

You have two options - Pro*C and OCI. Pro*C is a precompiler, which allows you to embedd SQL calls directly in C code. The precompiler then comments these out, and replaces them with calls to the Oracle libraries. This results in compilable code. The second option, OCI (Oracle Call Interface) is a C API which you can use directly from C, with no precompiling. Both interfaces communicate with Oracle by sending SQL statements and/or PL/SQL blocks to the server to be executed. I would talk with your sales rep for more information and/or demos.

|> Atif Khan
|> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

Scott Urman            Oracle Corporation           surman_at_us.oracle.com
Author of _Oracle PL/SQL Programming_ ISBN 0-07-882176-2
Published by Oracle Press - http://www.osborne.com/oracle/index.htm
"The opinions expressed here are my own, and are not necessarily that of
 Oracle Corporation"