Re: C Programming API for Oracle ?

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1996/07/02

surman_at_oracle.com (Scott Urman) writes:

>You have two options - Pro*C and OCI. Pro*C is a precompiler, which allows
>you to embedd SQL calls directly in C code. The precompiler then comments
>these out, and replaces them with calls to the Oracle libraries. This results
>in compilable code. The second option, OCI (Oracle Call Interface) is a
>C API which you can use directly from C, with no precompiling. Both
>interfaces communicate with Oracle by sending SQL statements and/or PL/SQL
>blocks to the server to be executed. I would talk with your sales rep for
>more information and/or demos.

I haven't made contact with an Oracle sales rep yet. I have to find one first :) For now I am planning on ordering "The programmer's guide to Oracle call interfaces" and downloading the evaluation version for Solaris x86. My only other question is, does the OCI stuff come with Oracle Workgroup Server package or does one have to purchase it seperately ?

Thanks.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Tue Jul 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message