Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Chris Lincoln <cklincoln_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/07/02

mark-esp_at_tir.com (Mark Bolen) wrote:

>One more problem is that for the last 2 weeks, I have been trying to
>connect with PB5 to Oracle through the native drivers. I have a 32bit
>configuration and Oracle 7.2. Everything else can connect, but PB5
>gets a "no interface driver connected" error. They are installed
>correctly. I can ping, and use SQL Plus 3.2 (32-bit version). As far
>as I am concerned, the native Oracle driver is vapor ware! I would

I am using PB5 and Oracle 7.2 with Named Pipes. Works like a champ. What network protocol are you using? Did the connection work in PB4 and not in PB5? What does your connect string look like?

>wait for a fix or two first, or use Delphi. Delphi screams to Oracle.
>What a tool! Its the developers dream (Yes, I code in PB. But the
>fact that I can complete the job quicker in Delphi can't be ignored).
>The only problem with Delphi is that it is owned by Borland. Couple
>this with the fact that my customers are technically stupid and
>politically correct, results in my apps ending up in VB. Yuk!

Sounds like you ought to use Delphi.

>>Michael Beck <michael.beck_at_daytonoh.ncr.com> wrote:

>>But it's much slower than Delphi in accessing Oracle database - look at
>>InfoWorld comparison from 6/17/96. Delphi was the fastest at that.

>>Michael

Ultrax_Inc(); Received on Tue Jul 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message