Re: Oracle WebServer Opinion

From: Hwansoo Han <hshan_at_bellcore.com>
Date: 1996/07/02

Steve_Kilbane_at_cegelecproj.co.uk wrote:

> > 1.) Import data from our real database (production) securely.
>
> http://site:port/owa-bin/owa/service/procedure
>
> Here, "service" is the name of the "listener" - you can have several, and
> defines which database is used, and which database id, etc.

Can you explain further in detail? Or any reference book?

  http://site:port/owa-bin/owa/service/procedure

                           ^^^

In the above format "owa" is a excutable program and the rest part (/service/procedure) doesn't exist in the file system. I can understand "service" is a name of "listener". Then how can I store "procedure"? Where? Can you give me a tiny example?

Say, a listner, named MYLIS, is running on MYSITE:8000 and 'owa-bin' is correctly mapped to the directory that contains a excutable "owa" and a PL/SQL procedure is in the file, named AFORM.

    [mydir:/] more AFORM
    procedure RegUser is begin

        htp.htmlOpen;
        htp.headOpen;
        htp.title('Test PL/SQL');
        htp.headClose;
        htp.bodyOpen;
        htp.FormOpen(owa_util.get_owa_service_path ||
        'PadGreet.NewUser');
        htp.print('Your Name: ');
        htp.FormText('U',25,50);
        htp.nl;
        htp.print('Password ---you choose, can be blank if you like..): ');
        htp.FormPassword('P',15,25);
        htp.nl;
        htp.FormSubmit;
        htp.FormReset;
        htp.FormClose;
        htp.bodyClose;
        htp.htmlClose;

    end;
    [mydir:/]

My login id is MY_UNIX_ID and sqlplus id is MY_DB_ID. How can I configure listner, MYLIS? How can I configure PL/SQL agent? (Port and User parameters)
And what is the finall URL form? (http://MYSITE:8000/ows-bin/owa/MYLIS/RegUser ?)

FYI, I have

    Oracle WebServer R2.0 Installation Guide for Sun Sparc solaris 2.x     Oracle WebServer User's Guide R2.0
    Oracle PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference

> > Whats good out there ?
>
> Oraperl. :-)

Is it easier than Oracle WebServer + PL/SQl + Java? How about performance?

Thanks.

Hwansoo Han
e-mail: hshan_at_bellcore.com / hshan_at_cs.umd.edu