Re: In memory bulk import/export

From: James Joslin <jljoslin_at_concentric.net>
Date: 1996/07/01

Hector L. Alicea <75703.1706_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>What is the best way to write a program which takes data from an
>in-memory buffer and insert it into an oracle database version
>7.2 under Windows NT and HP-UX. I will be inserting about 2
>million rows a day and performance is critical. I do not want to
>store the data into a file and then execute the imp72 program
>because I would be waisting time writing to a file temporarily.
>
>I would like to go straight from memory into the oracle instance
>with no copying of data in between into some temporary buffer
>(other than on a row by row or group of rows basis).
>
>Thanks
>
>Hector
>(hector_at_manu.com)
>
>--
>5th Floor voice: (301) 984-5136
>2115 East Jefferson St. fax: (301) 984-5486
>Rockville, MD 20852 email: hector_at_manu.com

I know you can do this with <ugh> Ingres, but I've yet to discover a way to accomplish it in Oracle.

You might consider using direct path load (an option of SQL*Loader) to load your data. The loads can also be run in parallel for multiple tables. IMP (import) generally expects the data to exist in an EXP (export) created file.

SQL*Loader in direct path mode skips the DBWR and LGWR processes entirely thereby speeding loads considerably.

Jim Joslin
BellSouth Telecommunications Received on Mon Jul 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message