MAXDATA/ARRAYSIZE vs. ODBC

From: Jason Hoos <jhoos_at_orion.math.uiuc.edu>
Date: 1996/07/01

Hopefully somebody can help me out here, as I'm still paddling my way up Oracle's learning curve. Here's the problem. We have this table which was imported from another database system, which contains around 86 fields. When I try to do a 'SELECT *' type query from SQL*Plus on this table, it gives me an error to the effect of "buffer overflow; increase MAXDATA or decrease ARRAYSIZE." (Sorry, don't remember the exact error number.) So, after doing some fiddling around, I find that if I crank up MAXDATA to its limit and set ARRAYSIZE to around 5, SQL*PLUS is happy and lets me to queries. And there was much rejoicing.

Now, for the problem. Ultimately, I need to be able to access this table from ODBC via FoxPro 2.6 for Windows. As expected, doing the straight query from FoxPro caused an error. However, I can't figure out how to do the equivalent of the 'SET MAXDATA...' and 'SET ARRAYSIZE...' commands from ODBC in such a way as to fix my problem. I tried just sending both commands before the query, but the query still generated an error. Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, or a way to set these variables permanently for the tablespace so ODBC doesn't need to muck with them? Or am I going to be stuck with the last-hope alternative of splitting this table into pieces and rewriting a lot of code from the old system that I was hoping to not have to rewrite?

Thanks for any help,
Jason Hoos
jhoos_at_uiuc.edu

--