Re: MAXDATA/ARRAYSIZE vs. ODBC

From: James K. Mayes <jmayes_at_neosoft.com>
Date: 1996/07/02

jhoos_at_orion.math.uiuc.edu (Jason Hoos) wrote:

>Hopefully somebody can help me out here, as I'm still paddling my way up
>Oracle's learning curve. Here's the problem. We have this table which
>was imported from another database system, which contains around 86 fields.
>When I try to do a 'SELECT *' type query from SQL*Plus on this table,
>it gives me an error to the effect of "buffer overflow; increase
>MAXDATA or decrease ARRAYSIZE." (Sorry, don't remember the exact error
>number.) So, after doing some fiddling around, I find that if I crank
>up MAXDATA to its limit and set ARRAYSIZE to around 5, SQL*PLUS is happy
>and lets me to queries. And there was much rejoicing.
>
>Now, for the problem. Ultimately, I need to be able to access this table
>from ODBC via FoxPro 2.6 for Windows. As expected, doing the straight
>query from FoxPro caused an error. However, I can't figure out how to
>do the equivalent of the 'SET MAXDATA...' and 'SET ARRAYSIZE...' commands
>from ODBC in such a way as to fix my problem. I tried just sending both
>commands before the query, but the query still generated an error.
>Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, or a way to set these
>variables permanently for the tablespace so ODBC doesn't need to muck with
>them? Or am I going to be stuck with the last-hope alternative of
>splitting this table into pieces and rewriting a lot of code from the
>old system that I was hoping to not have to rewrite?

Not completely sure about the solution... but I am fairly confident that the settings for SQL*Plus are just that: Settings for SQL*Plus and thus, have nothing to do with any ODBC buffer sizes.

I had a similar problem with MS SQL Server 6.0... Our only solution once we hit the column limit was to construct a VIEW with fewer columns.

Good luck,
jimmy mayes

                     \\\///
                    / _  _ \
| jmayes_at_neosoft.com	         Powered by Linux |
| EFNet&Kali: Malacai     visit http://www.ey.com |
| Ernst & Young ( ) Oooo. IT Consulting |
                          (_/