Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: Danny Hung <dhung_at_scdt.intel.com>
Date: 1996/06/28

On 28 Jun 1996, ray charbonneau wrote:

> an133911_at_anon.penet.fi (an133911_at_anon.penet.fi) wrote:
> >What about Oracle's own Developer/2000 ... it took 4 of the 7 awards
> >over both Powerbuilder and Delphi in Computer World when it came to
> >developing for database applications.
> >
> I have found that the awards a product wins are meaningless. Like the
> Academy awards, you can create so many that almost every product wins one
> or another. In talking to real people who build information systems, I
> have never heard of anyone who thought Developer/2000 was superior to
> Powerbuilder or Delphi. Delphi is a great product; but, there seems to
> be some sort of lack of confidence in Borland that prevents the corporate
> world from jumping on the bandwagon. As far as Powerbuilder is
> concerned, literally thousands of applications have been built and are in
> production with success using this tool. With Powerbuilder 5.0,
> virtually all of the negative aspects of the tool have been eliminated.
> So, today, if I am doing a database intensive application, I lean
> towards Powerbuilder. If it is not database intensive, I lean towards
> Delphi.
>
> have fun
> ray c.

        I decided to use Oracle's tool mainly because their advertised cross-platform portability, i.e. a Forms developer on Windows can be re-compiled on HP using Dev2K's Form Generator. As I found out, the FMB files are not actually portable. The files can get corrupted during the port and you may have to redo the whole form design for each platform to port (this is Oracle's suggested solution :-( ).

        If you do not have the issue of cross-platform portability, go for PB. In fact, their 5.0 release has caught up with the X/Motif compatibility. This is a features in transition and you may want to wait for a while before it get mature.

later,

Danny
#include standard.disclaimer Received on Fri Jun 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message