Re: Delphi 2.0 vs. Powerbuilder 5.0

From: ray charbonneau <raycharb_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/06/28

an133911_at_anon.penet.fi (an133911_at_anon.penet.fi) wrote:
>What about Oracle's own Developer/2000 ... it took 4 of the 7 awards
>over both Powerbuilder and Delphi in Computer World when it came to
>developing for database applications.

I have found that the awards a product wins are meaningless. Like the Academy awards, you can create so many that almost every product wins one or another. In talking to real people who build information systems, I have never heard of anyone who thought Developer/2000 was superior to Powerbuilder or Delphi. Delphi is a great product; but, there seems to be some sort of lack of confidence in Borland that prevents the corporate world from jumping on the bandwagon. As far as Powerbuilder is concerned, literally thousands of applications have been built and are in production with success using this tool. With Powerbuilder 5.0, virtually all of the negative aspects of the tool have been eliminated. So, today, if I am doing a database intensive application, I lean towards Powerbuilder. If it is not database intensive, I lean towards Delphi.

have fun
ray c.

My views and not those of my employer or client.