Re: What are the SEQ$ and OBJ$ tables?

From: Ken Johnson <ken.johnson_at_mail.tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/06/27

Robert W. Swisshelm wrote:

> BEERYR wrote:
> >
> > I'm running the Oracle Financials application 10.4.2 running
> > on Oracle 7.1.3.
> >
> > In my stats of frequently run sql statements, the following
> > keep comming up. What is the seq$, obj$, and user$
> > tables? What are they used for?
> >
> > Ron Beery
> > NCR
> > "Everything is computerized. What could possibly go wrong?"
>
> I don't have any experience with Oracle Financials, but the tables that
> you are listing, if they are owned by SYS, are some of the tables
> underneath the Oracle data dictionary. SEQ$ is the table that stores
> sequences. USER$ stores username/role information. OBJ$ stores common
> information about stored objects, like tables, views, etc.
>
> Personally, I would be very scared in the Oracle Financials product is
> actually messing with the Oracle data dictionary tables directly, even
> if it is another Oracle product.
>
> Another possibility is that the financials product has a duplicate data
> dictionary that it maintains, and that data dictionary uses the same
> names for its base tables as the Oracle data dictionary does.
>
> I don't know if any of this applies to you, but I hope it helps.
>
> --
> Bob Swisshelm
> Eli Lilly and Company
> swisshelm_at_lilly.com

I doubt that financials is messing with SEQ$, OBJ$, ... What is probably happening is FinApps is doing a normal SQL statement of some sort (select amount, due_date from invoices where customer = 2191) for example. Then the database generates recursive SQL calls (to the SEQ$, OBJ$, ... tables) to locate the necessary objects, and make sure that the user has rights to access them. So they are being manipulated, but by the database (on your behalf) - not by FinApps.

Ken Johnson -  Technical Consultant
Tapestry Computing, Inc. http://www.tapestry.com