Re: Differences between the Microsoft and the Oracle SQL server

From: an133911_at_anon.penet.fi <(an133911_at_anon.penet.fi)>
Date: 1996/06/27

> What features does Oracle offer than Informix OnLine XPS Entended
>Parallel Server does not?

Well lets see . . .
OLTP features such as triggers, stored procedures, declarative referential integrity. These won't be added to the product until a future release. Informix uses partitioning to achieve parallelism in queries. Informix does not perform well when data is not partitioned and with their 8.0 system that you mentioned above, they are unable to achieve ANY parallelism at all without partioning. Drawbacks of their Static partitioning: Inflexible - can't achieive parallelism without partition Parallelism or administration - but not both. You can either partition data for performance (parallelism) or partition for administration. However you can't partition for BOTH performance and administration. With Oracle partitioning isn't necessary. Informix Partioning is done MANUALLY. There are no partioning tools. Data distribution changes require repartitioning, schema shcanges require repartitioning, and ALL THIS MEANS DOWNTIME! Show me some Informix sites with more than 200 gb in size - RARE! Unproven OLAP- they don't even offer a multidimensional database or analysis.

I could go on and on - Informix days are over. Let me give you an example... the technology you mentioned above - its latest web page from Informix is from JULY 1995!!!!! HELLO INFORMIX PULL YOUR HEAD OUT and start producing and stop talking! Just for proof - http://www.informix.com/informix/corpinfo/zines/whitpprs/wht3/6828whi.htm . . . pathetic.
Oh, and what about raw bottom-line speed - once again Oracle kicks Informix all over on any platform!!!!

> From an Informix guru.
>--
>David Williams

If I were you David, I'd be looking around for another job - and we both know it! Received on Thu Jun 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message