Re: Raw Devices: Increased Performance?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/06/26

In article <31C9F801.33AB_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au> Jo Manna <jgm_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au> writes:
>Hello there,
>
>I am fairly new to Oracle and am
>trying get some info on what performance
>increases (if any) I can expect by using
>a raw device as apposed to a unix file system.
>
>We are using Oracle 7.2.3 on DEC Digital 3.2D-1

There was a thread on this a while ago, with some folks claiming minimal increase, while others claimed up to 300%.

Personally, I think the one time that someone unthinkingly writes over the raw system will more than make up for any increase. In other words, it requires greater control over administration than any place can be expected to have over a long period of time.

On the other hand, some of the high performance options require raw files.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>