Re: Raw Devices: Increased Performance?

From: Neil Greene <ngreene_at_ni.net>
Date: 1996/06/26

Joel Garry wrote:

> In article <31C9F801.33AB_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au> Jo Manna <jgm_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au> writes:
> Personally, I think the one time that someone unthinkingly writes over
> the raw system will more than make up for any increase. In other words,
> it requires greater control over administration than any place can be
> expected to have over a long period of time.

How does someone simply write over a raw partition? Change the owner of the raw device to oracle, group dba. Your raw disks certainly are not world writable by anyone, so why leave the raw partitions this way. Of course, if you have any special account that needs to read the device (/dev/rdsk/blah) for backup purposes, then do so. But, regular users....no way.

--
Neil Greene				"Pinky, you make me worry.  You are too
Sr. Oracle DBA / Unix Administrator		close to being a poster child for