Re: Problem Installing 7.3 under HP/UX

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/06/24

Andrew Zitelli wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in loading the Oracle7 server, version 7.3.2.1.0
> under HP/UX 10.01? We have been trying, but have been unsuccessful.
> Oracle support has been unable to provide the solution. The basic error
> message we are getting is "Cannot create unix .prd file." We have been
> working on this for the past week without any success. The workarounds
> suggested by Oracle support have not worked. Any help will be
> appreciated. We are currently running Oracle 7.2.3 on the same system
> and are trying to load 7.3.2 as a separate instance for testing
> purposes. As a second question, does anyone know of a way to overwrite
> the default installation directory being used by the 7.3 installer?
> The new installer does not allow us to specify the installation
> directory. Thanks!

I got 7.3.2 installed with no problems. I didn't create a new 7.3 database, but I did upgrade a 7.2.3 database. Are you installing from tape or CD? You do know that the CD instructions for 7.3.2 are incorrect, at least on HP-UX? The instructions say you can run orainst directly from the CD, but in reality, you have to run START.SH, just as in past versions. After this, everything worked fine for me. At what point are you getting the "Cannot create unix .prd file" error message?

As for the default installation directory issue, I was surprised that the Oracle Installer didn't support existing directories. How does Oracle expect existing customers to install 7.3 on top of other versions? Anyway, in specifying ORACLE_BASE, I just used the previous directory '..' to work my way back up the directory tree until I got to MY ORACLE_BASE, and then worked back down the tree to the proper location. I don't remember exactly, but I ended up specifying my ORACLE_BASE as something like '/u01/app/oracle/../../home/dba/oracle' and that seemed to work fine. Not the prettiest way, but it works.

Regards,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs                             mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.                       voice: (513) 677-7661