Re: Archivelog Mode Questions

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1996/06/18

bjonnard_at_ix.netcom.com (Bill Jonnard) wrote:

>In other words, if I have accumulated 20 archive logs, Oracle will
>apply them one by one without any problems, but will always end up
>asking for file #21. As I stated above, I only had 20 to start with.
>The maddening result of this is that instead of seeing a "Recovery
>Successfully completed" type of message, I get an error message
>telling me that I need one more (nonexistent) archive log file. Does
>anyone have an idea as to why this is happening and how I can avoid
>it?

I'm not sure why this is happening but you can do "cancel based recovery" by typing "CANCEL" at the prompt for log #21. This won't cancel the whole recovery. It'll just stop at the last log file it used.

>Aside from this issue, I also have a general question related to
>running a database in Archivelog mode. Specifically, in my system,
>certain operations that are considered to be a "single transaction"
>might actually consist of updates to records in 4 different tables,
>and inserts into 2 others. If archive log "N" is filled by the first
>3 updates, then the 4th update and the 2 inserts will have to be
>written to archive log "N+1". Ordinarily this would not matter, but
>if my last usable archive log file was "N", meaning that I cannot
>recovery anything from the "N+1" log, then my data will be out of sync
>at the end of my restoration effort.

Your database will still be in sync.

Commits and rollbacks are both recorded in the log file. If the commit for the transaction in question is in the missing log, that entire transaction will get rolled back.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!