Re: Archivelog Mode Questions

From: Danny Cox <dcox_at_tramco.com>
Date: 1996/06/18

Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> bjonnard_at_ix.netcom.com (Bill Jonnard) wrote:
>
> >In other words, if I have accumulated 20 archive logs, Oracle will
> >apply them one by one without any problems, but will always end up
> >asking for file #21. As I stated above, I only had 20 to start with.
> I'm not sure why this is happening but you can do "cancel based
> recovery" by typing "CANCEL" at the prompt for log #21. This won't
> cancel the whole recovery. It'll just stop at the last log file it
> used.

I believe that if you are using a recover until cancel that Oracle will continue to prompt you for logs until you type "cancel" wether or not the logs have actually been created by the database. This is to allow you to perform a recovery, when using a controlfile that is dated earlier than your database actually is, past the controlfile. If you perform a recover until cancel then you must remember to alter database open resetlogs. Hope this helps.

--

Danny Cox dcox_at_tramco.com