Re: listener

From: Ed Bruce <bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: 1996/06/18

David-Michael Lincke wrote:

> Youcan do your whole SQL*Net configuration with Oracle Network Manager,
> which will create all the necessary configuration files for you and
> ensure

Not with Oracle 7.1.4, 7.1.6, or 7.2.3 on a SGI Unix box. If I want to use the Oracle Network Manager I must convince my project purchase a Windoze 3.1 machine. What really twists my shorts is Oracle's documentation threatens you, that if you manually edit these files they won't provide any support. Every time any document talks about the tnsnames.ora or sqlnet.ora, they have their warning do not manually update these files, always use their Oracle Network Manager (which they fail to supply).

Though I have never used the Oracle Network Manager, I've read the manual and it explicitly states that it can't update all the files and the DBA must manually make these updates.

Now I don't know if Oracle will refuse to help me if I run into any troubles, but their documents claim that they will.

Ed Bruce
Systems Engineer - DBA
Hughes Aircraft Company Received on Tue Jun 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message