Re: DUPLICATE RECORD CHECKING WHILE ENTRY TIME

From: Lee Levy <levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1996/06/16

In article <Dt0zAr.5Fx_at_hclind.hclc-ggn.hcla.com>, "M.Shekar" <shekar_at_hclggn.hclc-ggn.hcla.com> says:

> GOOD MORNING EVERY BODY, PRESENTLY WORKING IN DEV 2000
> IAM FACING A PROBLEM IN FORMS 4.5.
>

> THE PROBLEM IS I HAVE MULTI RECORD BASE TABLE BLOCK,
> WITH THREE ITEMS, FIRST IS APRIMARY KEY, SECOND AND THIRD
> ARE MANDATORY FIELDS, THE PROBLEM IS I HAVE TO CHECK THE
> DUPLICATE RECORD CHECKING AT THE TIME OF DATA ENTRY IT SELF
> AT FRONT END ITSELF, I HAVE TRIED THROUGH COMMIT IN KEY-UP,
> KEY-DOWN IT IS WORKING BUT IT IS TAKING A LOT OF TIME,
> SO ONE OF OUR GUY TOLD ME THROUGH RECORD GROUPS,
> I EVEN TRIED BUT I COULD N'T SUCCEED, I ANY ONE CAN HELP
> ME IN THIS REGARD I WOULD BE GREATFUL TO YOU .
> PL WRITE THE DETAILED PROC USING RECORD
> GROUPS ONLY.
I dont think you need to muck around with a record group - try turning on the Primary Key property for both the block and the item(s) which make up the primary key.
This should allow checking of duplicates. I have found this to be the only efficient method of completely checking as it checks against both DB and other records in the multirecord  block for you.
NB. It does it at commit time (I am pretty sure) I have tried coding it myself and it gets really nasty, and doesnt work 100%.
NB2. If you have primary key constraints set up properly on the DB then you dont actually *have* to do anything, as the user will get an Oracle error message when attempting to commit - but it is a nasty message. Turning on the Primary Key property offers a much nicer message.

HIH
Lee

  Lee Levy, ISSD Technical Dream Team, Del Code (34)   BHP Information Technology, ACN 006 476 213   PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, Australia   PH: +61 42 75-5485 Fax: -5500 Tie: 8855-   Internet : levy.lee.ls_at_bhp.com.au

Opinions expressed are mostly my own, so give me some credit. Received on Sun Jun 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message