Re: 7.2 and MTS problem

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_t-online.de>
Date: 1996/06/16

Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_daytonoh.ncr.com> wrote:

>We're running ORACLE 7.2 with Multi-Threaded Server on an
>NCR 35xx box. Automatic IPC is turned on in sqlnet.ora. We
>have 5 servers set up. One of them seems to be used much
>more, almost to the exclusion of, than the other 4. Over a period
>of several days, we notice a gradual but steady over all slowdown
>in performance within the DB and applications. If we bounce the
>instance the performance comes back up to speed. The decline
>in performance seems to be tied to the 1 MTS server "hogging"
>all of the action.

>Are there any known problems with this version of ORACLE, MTS,
>and the NCR box that anyone knows of?

Dont know the NCR box - but it is "normal" that one MTS server gets most of the CPU time....

The dispatcher uses the first available MTS server from "top to bottom"; so if you area having only one database request at a time (even if more users are logged on), only the first MTS-process will use CPU.

The slowdown in performance has IMHO nothing to do with the MTS configuration; maybe your SGA size is too large, so the more the SGA is actually used the more your system swaps...

Try "pre_page_sga=yes" in the init.ora and see if your memory is overcommitted.

>TIA
>JIm Gregory

>Opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect those of my
>company or clients.

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118
                Mailbox: analog 06297 910104
                         ISDN   06297 910105
                Internet: 0629791010_at_t-online.de
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-