import & ipx_max_sockets

From: FREDFUSS <fredfuss_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/06/12

We have a new hp9000, hp/ux v10, oracle7.1.6. Imports are extremely slow, 4-5 slower than the vax cluster we are moving from. The unix admin found a message with regard to my import process: "waiting for sockets". We are using the TWO_TASK env. var. which causes the shadow process of connecting to oracle to use sql*net, which in turn involves tcp (I think). My dba's have spent lots of time with OTS, one suggestion was to do something with the two_task parameter definition in tnsnames. No change.

   A friend with a 9000/v9 found a kernel parameter named 'ipx_max_sockets' and it is set to 512. I don't know what our parameter is set to, or even if this same parameter exists for v10.

   Is this ipx_max_sockets parameter important to how well sql*net or imports perform if the two_task parameter is set. One response I got about a week ago regarding the two_task parameter was that oracle looks for the existence of this even before oracle_sid!

   Would welcome any info in this. This very slow import problem cost me a weekend, it just seems setting something to the right value will make everything all better. Thanks for any and all help. Larry Received on Wed Jun 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message