Re: MTS/Dedicated

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

Chakravarthy Nalamotu wrote:

> Hi,
> Could some one let me know, how the connect
> string is given to obtain a dedicated server
> connection, in a multi threaded environment.
>
> I have a multi threaded server running
> right now. I guess MTS_SERVERS = 0
> gives me a dedicated server, but I would
> be losing my MTS configuration.
>
> Anyway, I have gone through the documentation.
> A clause (SRVR=DEDICATED) can be used in SQL*Net
> TNS connect string. But no further information.
> I was directed to refer to installation or user's
> guide, but couldn't find enough info. to move on.
>
> Could some one let me know what the exact
> connect syntax is?
>
> Thanks a million!!! for your replies.
> Kittu.

The following are two tnsnames.ora entries for connecting locally to the db in a mts environment:

test_mts.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = IPC)
          (KEY=test)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test)
    )
  )
test_ds.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = IPC)
          (KEY=test)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test) (SRVR = DEDICATED)     )
  )

Here are two methods to connect with the above in ksh (Korn Shell):

  1)

     sqlplus /_at_test_ds <- dedicated server

     sqlplus /_at_test_mts <- mts server

  2)

     export TWO_TASK=test_ds
     sqlplus /                <- dedicated server

     export TWO_TASK=test_mts
     sqlplus /                <- mts server

If your connection is not local (ie: client/server) the following changes to the tnsnames.ora files are in order, the connect methods remain the same:

test_mts.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = test_box)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test)
    )
  )
test_ds.world =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS =
          (PROTOCOL = TCP)
          (Host = test_box)
          (Port = 1521)
        )

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = test) (SRVR = DEDICATED)     )
  )

It's been awhile since I have been in a mts environment but my old examples show it as above.

brian.maclean_at_teldta.com Received on Tue Jun 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message