Re: How to select the <= date row?

From: Robert Munson <Xiao.Munson_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1996/06/11

slamotte_at_jenex.mb.ca (Steven Lamotte) wrote:
>stefanbm_at_iafrica.com (Stefan Mahs) wrote:
>
>>Hi there, I would appreciate it if you could give me some ideas on the
>>following problem:

>>I have a couple of tables related to each other and they store time
>>variant data. The "main table" contains event info. All the general
>>details of any event that effects the value of a policy are logged here.
>>Specific info about each event is logged in a set of event-specific
>>tables. The result of this is that not all the tables get a new row for
>>every event that is logged in the "main table".

>>I need to get the complete status of a policy, or set of policies, as it
>>was at any particular point in time. This means supplying at least a date
>>at which the policy's value should be retrieved, say 1 Jan 1995.

At ISUG '96, bill Cartwright presented "Using Sybase Triggers to Enforce 'Temporal' Integrity". His technique allowed users to make inserts, updates, deletes, etc. and the triggers would mark the rows with a begin or end time. It is a really slick technique. His presentation should be on the Sybase web home page under events. Bill's email address is bill_cartwright_at_tvratings.com

Bob Munson Received on Tue Jun 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message