Re: Named Pipes error ORA-6223

From: Jim Pistrang <pistrang_at_crocker.com>
Date: 1996/06/11

To all,

I fixed the problem, so I thought I'd post the resolution here. Turns out I had an older installation of Window For Workgroups on some of the PC's. Once I replaced the following 6 files with versions from a newer WFW installation, everything worked fine:

C:\Windows\net.exe
C:\Windows\System\ndis.386
C:\Windows\System\netapi.dll
C:\Windows\System\nwnblink.386
C:\Windows\System\vnetsup.386
C:\Windows\System\vredir.386

Jim

In article <pistrang-0606962056590001_at_iplink038.crocker.com>, pistrang_at_crocker.com (Jim Pistrang) wrote:

To all,

I've come across an interesting installation problem in an Omnis / Oracle / Windows NT Server environment. I thought I'd describe the problem & see if someone could tell me what's going on.

The Environment:

  Client: PC's with Windows for Workgroups installed   Server: Windows NT running Oracle7
  Network: 10bT Ethernet

The Client Setup:

  Using the Oracle Installation from the Oracle CD, Database Management Tools and SQL*Net Named Pipes 1.1.8.1 are installed.

  After the Oracle client install, I can connect to the server using any of the client tools, such as Session Manager, SQL-Plus, etc.

  Using the Omnis CD, I install Omnis 7 v3.2.1 (with a runtime serial number) on the PC.

The problem:

  After the Omnis install, I get the following error when trying to connect to Oracle. I get the same error regardless of how I try to connect (thru Omnis, SQL-Plus, etc.):

    ORA-6223:NETNMP:Named Pipes Driver:Read Named Pipe returned an error status (-6223)

  The Oracle error manual is not too helpful...it says to check the network connection (which I know is good), and if that fails notify the DBA (me!).

The workaround:

I discovered that if I
remove all of the pieces of Oracle from the PC (everything in ORAWIN, and the ORACLE.INI in WINDOWS), reboot the PC, and then reinstall Oracle, I can connect again. If I reinstall without rebooting it doesn't work. I also discovered that if I install Omnis by moving files from an installed version on the server, instead of from a CD install, I don't get the error.

***UPDATE*** After rebooting, the PC that worked has reverted back to getting the Named Pipes error! Whats going on???

It seems to me that the CD install of Omnis is somehow replacing or changing something in the Oracle environment, but I can't imagine what. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA, Jim

Jim Pistrang
JP Computer Resources
jim_at_jpcr.com
http://www.crocker.com/~pistrang

To unsubscribe from the this list, send a message to ListManager_at_lanl.gov and put "unsubscribe omnis" (without the quotes) in the body of the message. For other options, send the command "help" to ListManager_at_lanl.gov.