ODBC & Oracle -> Please Help!

From: Tyler Vallillee <tkvallil_at_undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/05/31

If anyone is familiar with a problem like I am experiencing I would appreciate a response.

Last week I installed evaluation copies of the Oracle 7.1 Workgroup 2000 server, client, powerobjects, etc. on my NT Workstation. All ran great and I have been creating and accessing databases in Oracle without any problems. I added the 16-bit Oracle ODBC driver and used it with the Oracle test application with no problems.

However, I now have a new database (R:BASE) that needs to access the Oracle database via ODBC. R:BASE only uses 32-bit ODBC drivers so I downloaded 32-bit ODBC drivers from the Oracle web site and (after removing my 16-bit ODBC drivers) installed them. They seemed to install fine.

My problem is that I cannot get the 32-bit ODBC Oracle drivers to work with ANY application I use. The Oracle ODBC test program generates "Unable to connect" messages as does R:BASE.

I downloaded Cold Fusion and their ODBC drivers to see if new ODBC drivers would help. Unfortunately, they did not as they too were unable to connect (these were Visigenic Oracle drivers). I re-installed my 16-bit ODBC drivers and they worked fine, but my 32-bit drivers still did not work.

I think I must be suffering from some kind of configuration problem. Has anyone else had the problem where the 16-bit ODBC drivers seem to work fine with Oracle but 32-bit do not work?? I am desperate for help so if you know, prompt reply would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler

--
Tyler Vallillee		|     3A Computer Science, University of Waterloo
Maintainer of SNMP and OLE Homepages! Visit them and other fun stuff at: