Re: error when opening sgadef.dbf

From: Thotakure Kishore <tkishore_at_ford.com>
Date: 1996/05/31

Terry Dobie wrote:

> Get the following error when trying to attach to an Oracle 6 database
> on an HP from a PC running SQL Net and TCP.
>
> ORA-01034:ORACLE not available
> ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file.
> HP-UX Error: 13: Permission denied.
>
> Can connect to the database when using SQL Plus on the HP host. But
> when I use the exact same username, password and connect string
> T:xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:emcs on the PC it fails.
>
> Checked in the Oracle path and there is no sgadef.dbf file. There is
> a sgadefemcs.dbf file however.
>
> The owner of the HP machine is running security he calls a "wrapper".
> Is this preventing me from getting to the machine.

 <snip>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Terry Dobie (tdobie_at_micron.net
> POWER Engineers
> Hailey, ID

Terry,

sgadefXXXX.dbf (where XXXX is the name of the instance) file will be created when you have an Oracle instance running. It will be in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory. This file will be removed once the instance is shutdown.

Your problem seems to be your sql*net setup. On your HP machine,
Check the /etc/services file for an entry for the port for sql*net v1.
It should be
orasrv 1525/tcp

Check the /etc/oratab file and make sure you have the statement properly setup.
It should look like,
instance_name:home_dir:Y

Also issue
tcpctl stat to check the status of sql*net v1.

Once you have changed any of the setups above stop and restart sql*net v1.

As for the HP security causing this problem I am not sure about it.

--
Regards,

Thotakura Kishore
Oracle Database Administrator
FORD Motor Co
Dearborn, MI.
e-mail:tkishore_at_ford.com
Views expressed are mine, and do not represent the
views of Ford Motor Co.