error when opening sgadef.dbf

From: Terry Dobie <tdobie_at_micron.net>
Date: 1996/05/24

Get the following error when trying to attach to an Oracle 6 database on an HP from a PC running SQL Net and TCP.

ORA-01034:ORACLE not available
ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file. HP-UX Error: 13: Permission denied.

Can connect to the database when using SQL Plus on the HP host. But when I use the exact same username, password and connect string T:xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:emcs on the PC it fails.

Checked in the Oracle path and there is no sgadef.dbf file. There is a sgadefemcs.dbf file however.

The owner of the HP machine is running security he calls a "wrapper". Is this preventing me from getting to the machine.

My expertise is in Ingres and when running it on a Unix system with security a special utility needs to be run to give access to users through Ingres Net. Is this true of Oracle also?

This was one of those cases where someone in the company ask if you could make a quick change to an MS-Access program . . . Of course they have no maintenace with Oracle.

Thanks for any help!

Terry Dobie (tdobie_at_micron.net
POWER Engineers
Hailey, ID Received on Fri May 24 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message