Re: RFD: comp.databases.oracle reorganization

From: George Dau <gedau_at_mim.com.au>
Date: 1996/05/28

Steve Cosner <stevec_at_csufresno.edu> wrote:

]RATIONALE: all groups

[snip]
]an active group with 100 to 300 articles posted each day. The
[snip]
Most of which are follow ups. If you ignore the threads that don't interest you, you only get 30 - 40 new articles per day, excluding job postings which the killfile looks after anyway.

]RATIONALE: comp.databases.oracle.misc

[snip]
] It is the
]decision of the proponents to go with the majority, with the hope that
]this will not cause too much controversy here.
Well...just that I think that there is no need for any changes...

[snip]
]CHARTER: comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
]
]Comp.databases.oracle.marketplace is a newsgroup provided for
]commercially oriented topics of interest to people using Oracle
]software. This group includes but is not limited to articles
]covering the following topics:
] jobs available
] positions wanted
] services offered
] software or hardware wanted or available for sale
] books and other literature available
] announcements of new products

If the split takes place, I would like to see announcements of new products separate from jobs. I am interested in seeing new products, but not job postings. (Of course I can do that now, but that's a different case.)

[snip]
]CHARTER: all groups
]
]Cross-posting articles to multiple comp.databases.oracle.*
]newsgroups should be avoided. If there is any question as to which
]group should be used, post to comp.databases.oracle.misc (assuming
My only complaint about splitting, but enough to make me vote against it. Have a look at comp.os.linux.* and see all the cross-posted articles. If you think that's a bit repetitious, try comp.os.ms-windows.nt.* and see nearly every post 8 times. To finish it off, have a look at comp.unix.* Now how many times do you want to see your 100 - 300 new posts a day in the c.d.o.* set? Splitting should be able to bump that to 400 - 1,200 articles a day.

Do you really think people will respect the Charter and not cross-post?

Regards, George Dau.
gedau_at_mim.com.au Received on Tue May 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message