Re: Client starts unix process?

From: Joseph Lee <joelee_at_rst.inri.com>
Date: 1996/05/28

Harri Kaukovuo wrote:

> Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com> wrote:
>
> >Warren Nisley wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of an elegant way to start unix
> >> processes from within a Forms4.5 client running on a PC?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> -------------------------------------
> >> Warren Nisley - wnisley_at_ix.netcom.com
> >> -------------------------------------

> >Wow. If you're not talking about the Motif version of Developer/2000, I'm not even sure
> >there's an _inelegant_ solution. If Forms 4.5 is Windows, then all I can suggess it buy
> >WinBatch, write a script that launches a Telnet windows client, logs into the Unix box,
> >and runs the process. Then you have Forms launch that WinBatch app. Ugly, but this is the
> >Windows world.
>
> Most of the TCP/IP packages have rsh -program to execute commands in
> remote machines.
> For example if the target unix machine is 'foo.domain.com' and you
> want to execute script 'script_to_run.sh':
> rsh foo.domain.com script_to_run.sh
> Rsh will use the username specified in your PC to login to
> foo.domain.com. By default the username in PC and unix should be the
> same.
>
> Rsh requires that you have specified your PC TCP/IP address in your
> '.rhosts' file.
> Under Forms 4.5 you would just use host -command to start the process.
>
> Read more about rsh and remote functionality from your TCP/IP manuals.
>
> -- Harri
>
> hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com
> ** The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and
> ** do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

There is one other way. I can't say if this is more elegant but .. Use the DBMS_PIPE package to send a command to a waiting Unix process that will spawn the requested process. Once you have the pipe set up between Oracle and a Unix Daemon, all you have to do in your Client PC is to call stored procedures in DBMS_PIPE package. The script to create the package (~ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin) has examples on how to use the package.

--

Joseph S. Lee INRI
(703)715-9605 x214