Re: Client starts unix process?

From: Harri Kaukovuo <hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/23

Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com> wrote:

>Warren Nisley wrote:
>>

>> Does anyone know of an elegant way to start unix
>> processes from within a Forms4.5 client running on a PC?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> Warren Nisley - wnisley_at_ix.netcom.com
>> -------------------------------------

>Wow. If you're not talking about the Motif version of Developer/2000, I'm not even sure
>there's an _inelegant_ solution. If Forms 4.5 is Windows, then all I can suggess it buy
>WinBatch, write a script that launches a Telnet windows client, logs into the Unix box,
>and runs the process. Then you have Forms launch that WinBatch app. Ugly, but this is the
>Windows world.

Most of the TCP/IP packages have rsh -program to execute commands in remote machines.
For example if the target unix machine is 'foo.domain.com' and you want to execute script 'script_to_run.sh':

        rsh foo.domain.com script_to_run.sh
Rsh will use the username specified in your PC to login to foo.domain.com. By default the username in PC and unix should be the same.

Rsh requires that you have specified your PC TCP/IP address in your '.rhosts' file.
Under Forms 4.5 you would just use host -command to start the process.

Read more about rsh and remote functionality from your TCP/IP manuals.

  • Harri

hkaukovu_at_us.oracle.com
** The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and ** do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu May 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message