Please advise: off-site support with hummingbird

From: Doug Smith <dsmith_at_gulfaero.com>
Date: 1996/05/22

I am purchasing Hummingbird's version 5 PC X server software with Xpress async.

I am also purchasing a Toshiba 720CDT notebook with 1024x768 screen with 32 meg ram, 1.2 gig hard drive, cd, and 28.8 built-in modem. It will run Windows 95 until there is a more notebook friendly version of NT.

For the office I am purchasing a docking station with a MATROX Millennum PCI graphics board with 4 meg ram (to help accelerate X window performance), ethernet card, tape backup, and a NEC XP21 21" monitor.

I will be using the Toshiba for on-site and off-site support of our Oracle database servers which are HP and IBM unix boxes.

We are going to run monitor/tuning software such as PLATINUM, COMPUWARE, and BMC provide ( I haven't selected the vendor yet ) plus Oracle's enterprise manager and any other support software.

For off-site support I will connect to an HP712/80 workstation that will havea a 28.8 Hayes Optima modem attached. This machine will run Hummingbird'sXpress/Host unix software which is supposed to make X faster over phone lines because it compresses what is sent and is supposed to draw only screen changes, not refresh the entire screen each time.

Does anybody have any experience running this type of setup ? At the office or for off-site ? Using Hummingbird ?

We are converting our entire company from mainframe to client/server purchased applications that are based on Oracle Databases running on Unix.

Any thoughts about on-site and off-site setups would be appreciated.

THANKS !!!!! Received on Wed May 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message