Re: Oracle 7 Replication

From: J Davis <josh_d_at_magicnet.net>
Date: 1996/05/20

<101642.1525_at_compuserve.com> hurled up:

>I'd very interested to know the experience from someone in Oracle7
>replication, having in account that we need to install the same database
>in Barcelona and Madrid (both of them in Spain), in two different machines
>(HP 9000 K200).

>Our only interest is your experience and your comments as well as we're
>thinking to use ISDN (basic service) and will trigger the replication during
>the evening.

>We'd thank you your explanations about the performance on this
>environment.

>Thank you.

>Ignasi Jimenez.

Oracle Replication works very well. It seems to be extremely reliable in a multi-user environment and read-only snapshots. I'm not really sure about updatable snapshots. In my experience the real tough part is designing the way that you are going to put the snapshots on the other machine. Remember these things:
1. Snapshot tables take more space than regular tables 2. It can be a performance hit to refresh when your main server is having problems.
3. Snapshot tables and their indexes grow faster (it seems) than their respective "master" tables.
4. If you can do "simple" snapshots, they are alot easier to manage and are definitely faster.

We use the snapshots for our customer service people who need a read-only view of account information. It reduced the load off of the main server approximately 20%-30%.

Good Luck,

Josh Davis josh_d_at_magicnet.net Received on Mon May 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message