Re: Oracle 7 Replication

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1996/05/20

101642.1525_at_compuserve.com wrote:

> I'd very interested to know the experience from someone in Oracle7
> replication, having in account that we need to install the same database
> in Barcelona and Madrid (both of them in Spain), in two different machines
> (HP 9000 K200).
>
> Our only interest is your experience and your comments as well as we're
> thinking to use ISDN (basic service) and will trigger the replication during
> the evening.
>
> We'd thank you your explanations about the performance on this
> environment.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Ignasi Jimenez.

If the 2nd database doesn't need to be a read-only version and is used for backup/recovery only, you may want to take a good long look at the v7.3 option of using a roll forward database. In short it's a database that is in constant recovery using/applying the archived redo's from the primary database. At failure time the backup database can be brought on-line and replace the primary. The great part about this is the primary is not bogged down by the replication process (triggers and/or snapshots and/or parallel server). And the backup has a low cpu usage also, in that applying archives is faster than the original transactions and can be done in parallel.

Luck

brian.maclean_at_teldta.com

                                 ,        ,
                                /(        )`