Re: Forms - TP monitor support

From: Gary Long <garyl_at_magna.com>
Date: 1996/05/17

Sivakumar Balakrishnan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me with the following situation please.
>
> I have Forms45 applications running on PCs connected to the
> TP monitor (Tuxedo, Forte etc.). It got to be be through an API
> connection. ( A piece of Tuxedo is installed on each PC (or network
> server) and another piece or the core application is on the dedicated
> TP monitor machine).

For purposes of discussion I'll use Tuxedo as I'm more familiar with it.

I have never seen a machine dedicated just to running Tux. Typically, one or more hardware servers are used, and each runs (a) Tuxedo and (b) 2nd-tier and or 3rd-tier application programs.

> How is the communication established between the TP monitor machine
> and the database server? Is it through SQL*net or another set of
> API calls? If it is possible to set up communication through APIs all
> the way through, what kind of maintenance effort we are talking
> about here?

Usually all communication between application *services* (processes) is thru the Tuxedo API. For instance:

                                   -------> Data Service

 GUI <------> Appl. Service <------|
       tux                         |
                                   -------> Appl. or Data Service
                                  tux

The services talk to Oracle thru E/SQL, the OCI or any other API. SQL*Net is not needed.

Once you have Tuxedo installed, the ongoing setup and maintenance is easy.

> Any comments or suggestions is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Siva

Hope this helps. If you'd like to dig a little deeper, send e-mail.

  • Gary
Gary Long                                                glong_at_magna.com
Vice President, Product Development
Magna Software Corporation                           Phone: 703/222-3500
12450 Fair Lakes Circle                                Fax: 703/222-8433
Fairfax, Virginia 22033

Technical data on "MAGNA X" CS/TP Application Generator: info_at_magna.com Received on Fri May 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message