Re: Oracle Designer 2000: User experiences

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/05/17

gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za (Gerhard Kleynhans) wrote:

>I have been assigned the task to identify a CASE tool that will
>fulfill the requirements of a database application development project
>being undertaken in my company.

>One tool that may meet our requirements wrt logical and physical data
>modelling, is Oracle Designer 2000. Other options are Sterling's KEY
>and Powersoft's S-Designor.

>A presentation on Designer 2000 that I attended and demo software that
>I looked at impressed me. However, I have not had the opportunity to
>talk to people that are actually using Designer 2000.

>Any views on the merit of Designer 2000?

>Gerhard Kleynhans

>email: gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za

If you plan to use Oracle's full functionality, Designer/2000 is th ONLY choice. The generation of the database side is rock solid. The application side is less thorough, but it is realistic to get 35-60% of the code generated. All of this assumes the proper use of the tool, of course, lots of planning, analysis, and effort up front is required. Unfortumately, I am in a situation best described by an old saying among us modelers; "Application of CASE to a project headed for trouble shortens the trip."
Michael B. Openshaw
No system is fool-proof in the hands
of a truly-dedicated Foole. Received on Fri May 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message