Re: Oracle Designer 2000: User experiences

From: <dbvision_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 1996/05/20

> openshaw_at_airmail.net (Mike Openshaw) writes:
> gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za (Gerhard Kleynhans) wrote:
>
> >I have been assigned the task to identify a CASE tool that will
> >fulfill the requirements of a database application development project
> >being undertaken in my company.

> >One tool that may meet our requirements wrt logical and physical data
> >modelling, is Oracle Designer 2000. Other options are Sterling's KEY
> >and Powersoft's S-Designor.

> >A presentation on Designer 2000 that I attended and demo software that
> >I looked at impressed me. However, I have not had the opportunity to
> >talk to people that are actually using Designer 2000.

> >Any views on the merit of Designer 2000?

> >Gerhard Kleynhans

> >email: gkh_at_alpha.terranet.co.za
>
> If you plan to use Oracle's full functionality, Designer/2000 is th
> ONLY choice. The generation of the database side is rock solid. The
> application side is less thorough, but it is realistic to get 35-60%
> of the code generated. All of this assumes the proper use of the
> tool, of course, lots of planning, analysis, and effort up front is
> required. Unfortumately, I am in a situation best described by an old
> saying among us modelers; "Application of CASE to a project headed for
> trouble shortens the trip."
> Michael B. Openshaw
> No system is fool-proof in the hands
> of a truly-dedicated Foole.

There's another option beside Designer/2000 and S-designer and that is ERwin from logic Works. Erwin is a datmodeling tool aslo used by many Oracle modelers. ERwin is easy to use and solid. ERwin also comes in a version for Work Groups called ModelMart.

Take a look at http://www.logicworks.com

Tore Johannesen
DBVision Received on Mon May 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message