Re: RFD to split comp.databases.oracle <----------------------

From: Phil Herring <revdoc_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 1996/05/16

In article <4nea7h$7fk_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com> Stevec5088, stevec5088_at_aol.com writes:
>RATIONALE: comp.databases.oracle.admin
>
>This group will be a channel for database-administration-specific
>topics, a major area of Oracle discussions. The suffix, "admin" was
>chosen since this newsgroup will be especially of interest to
>database administrators.

This name will be ambiguous. "admin" could equally well refer to the administration of the newsgroups, rather than database administration. Currently, the ".admin" suffix is used in both senses. E.g.,

	bit.admin               bit.* Newgroups Discussions.
	vmsnet.admin            Administration of the VMSnet newsgroups.
	comp.sys.sun.admin      Sun system administration issues and questions.
	comp.groupware.lotus-notes.admin        Lotus Notes system administration.

I'd prefer comp.databases.oracle.dba, which means exactly what it says.

The others look okay. How about a group for applications, like Financials?

Copyright 1996 Phil Herring. This article may not be reproduced for profit.