Re: NT Workgroups vs Enterprise

From: <widsith_at_panix.com>
Date: 1996/05/12

robert_at_cpvax.cpses.tu.com (Robert Eden) wrote:

>We are considering moving our small (30 client, 1 GB) client-server
>application from Unix to a NT server. We've been quoted costs of around
>2k per client (60k total!) for the Enterprise Server NT and
>$300 per client (9k total) for the Workgroup Server.

>Is the Enterprise server price right??? I find it very hard to believe.
>(All Oracle software resides on the server, but supposedly we need to pay
>$2k for each client slot on the server.)

That is what I have been quoted as concurrent user pricing.

>My understanding of the Workgroup product is it doesn't allow external
>joins with other databases. In the future, we may want to link to a DB2
>database...... do we need the Enterprise package or can a simple remote
>query be done using the Workgroup product?

I have been told several times that the Enterprise and Workgroup products utilize the kernel, so there should be minimal differences if you are not using any add-ons. (there is an earlier thread discussing the fact that one user is experiencing a 2x performance differences, but that is the only case I have heard of) I do believe that the Workgroup server can utilize a remote table, although there may be ways with the Enterprise to make this more efficient.

>What is the policy on older (but on maintenance) cross-platform
>upgrade policies?

While I have not yet upgraded our server, each time I have investigated it, Oracle has offered a credit for full list for the products that I have under support.

Hope this helps,
Dave Devejian
widsith_at_panix.com Received on Sun May 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message