Re: Rollback segments & Transactions

From: Jason Wells <jason.wells_at_tapestry.com>
Date: 1996/05/11

> Paul Taylor <ptaylor_at_pia.bt.co.uk> writes:
>
> >Hi

> >I have the following problem, can anyone help?

> >We are trying to delete the contents of a tables, but it is quite large
> >so therefore the rollback segment is either not large enough or I
> >require some additional rollback segments.
>
> What you need to do is TRUNCate the table. This does not go through the
> rollback segments.

But sometimes TRUNCATE has downsides. For instance, since it doesn't use rollback segments, you can't recover the data with ROLLBACK; like you can with DELETE. So another thing you could do is create a large rollback segment (call it RB_BIG or something), and when you need to DELETE the table, set the transaction to that rollback segment using the SET TRANSACTION statement. (This is only good for Oracle7 or later, though.)

Jason Wells                 Tapestry Computing, Inc.       Voice: 314.344.0066
Senior Software Developer   Email:jason.wells_at_tapestry.com   Fax: 314.344.0990