Re: Rollback segments & Transactions

From: Oracle FAQ <orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: 1996/05/11

Bob Yeh <yehr_at_itsi.disa.mil> writes:

>Paul Taylor wrote:
>> We are trying to delete the contents of a tables, but it is quite large
>> so therefore the rollback segment is either not large enough or I
>> require some additional rollback segments.
 Bob Yeh <yehr_at_itsi.disa.mil> replied
>If the goal is to delete the content of a large table you can do this
>SQL> delete from large_table where rownum < 100;
>SQL> commit;

>Keep repeat this until all rows are deleted.

Bob is obviously using Oracle prior to 6.0.33.

Use the TRUNCate command. It just removes all records (leaving the table tho) without going through the rollbacks.

David T. Bath
orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu

orafaq_at_bf.rmit.edu.au                 (private mail to dtb_at_bf.rmit.edu.au)
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/OracleFAQ   ftp://ftp.bf.rmit.edu.au/pub/Oracle/
http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/Oracle      http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~orafaq
-- NOT TO BE ARCHIVED IN ANY MANNER ON MICROSOFT NETWORK --