Re: Data corruption of Long fields in 7.3.2 Solaris 2.5

From: Owen Crowley <owen_at_hodes.com>
Date: 1996/05/11

In article <4mtcg1$apq_at_nntpa.cb.att.com>, jmjm_at_hogpf.ho.att.com (-J.MIKLEWICZ) wrote:

> We are in the process of upgrading our 7.2.3 databases to 7.3.2. We have
> found that the data in our long fields is being corrupted...
> An easy way to produce the problem is:
>
> Create a table with a couple of varchar2 columns and a long.
> Insert a row
> select using "select col1, col2, col3 from table for update"
>
> The data in the long will be corrupted.

I have observed something similar with the same OS and RDBMS version. In our case, one procedure's cursor fetch of rows containing a LONG began returing corrupt data for the long. This same code worked fine under 7.2.2; and even under 7.3.2 other cursor fetches containing longs work fine. For this procedure, I worked around the problem by getting the LONG column seperately.

I haven't taken the time to try to isolate the problem and report it. Please let us know if you find anything out.

Owen Received on Sat May 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message