Re: Oracle7 32-bit Odbc driver for Visual Basic 4.0

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/05/11

In article <4mq53m$ljj_at_cheyenne.iac.net>, Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net> wrote:
>dsivick_at_imonics.com (David Sivick) wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had any success using the oracle7
>>32-bit driver(SQ032_72.DLL) with Visual Basic
>>4.0?

>>I have no problem getting to work with Access but
>>VB is not playing well with others.

>>The error message I get is:

>>Run-time error 40002:

>>S1C00:[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver not capable

>>If someone can help me ASAP here, I will name my first born
>>after them. If I can't figure it out I have to go out and
>>by the ODBC drivers from INTERSOLV. We know it works.

>>Thanks,
>>David Sivick

>>Email: dsivick_at_imonics.com
>>Phone: (415) 983-9316 (til May 22)
>> (919) 461-6416 (after May 22)
>>

>There seems to be a lot of difficulty using the Oracle ODBC driver
>with VB4. I have heard that it has something to do with the driver
>being Level 1 compatible but VB using Level 2 calls. Either way, it
>doesn't seem to work.
>
>I think this is Oracle's way of moving everyone to Oracle Objects for
>OLE (assuming they ever finish version 2).
Not true. Oracle has a 32bit ODBC driver. Check out www.oracle.com. Also, OO4O 32bit was beta and I think may be production now. Again, check out www.oracle.com.
Finally, the biggest problem with most of the ODBC drivers is that they are probably linked to older versions of the Oracle client libraries that the user doesn't have.
The most prevalent one is on Win95, where the first set of client libs was for Oracle7.2(ORA72.lib,dll), but most of the ODBC Drivers were linked with ORacle7.1 libs which were never shipped on Win95. By now though, I think most of the vendors have upgraded.