Re: SQL*Net v2: tnsnames.ora location under Unix

From: Robert W. Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1996/05/09

john.loring_at_cplc.com wrote:

> > keith_at_keithd.demon.co.uk (Keith Davies) writes:
> > I have searched through my manuals, but it's still a mystery. Where should
> > the TNSNAMES.ORA file be put on a Unix machine?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Keith Davies
> >

> Try /etc.

As listed in other replies, you can always put it in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. Under HP-UX, you can also use /etc. Under Solaris, you can use /var/opt/oracle.

Finally, in any system, you can define the $TNS_ADMIN environment variable to set your own directory.

IMHO, I would suggest that you NOT place it under $ORACLE_HOME. If you migrate to a new version, you have to move it. If you have multiple versions installed on a single machine, you would have multiple copies.

If you are in a single OS, I would suggest using the location for that OS (/etc or /var/opt/oracle). If you have servers using more that one flavor of UNIX, I would suggest picking a common spot (maybe under $ORACLE_BASE/local) and defining $TNS_ADMIN. Received on Thu May 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message