Re: Sharing Tables with Multiple Instances

From: Saad Ahmad <sahmad_at_mfa.com>
Date: 1996/05/06

Barry Kilner (bkilner_at_interlog.com) wrote:
> I have two database instances running on the same machine. One
> is a financial database and the other a sales and marketing. The
> problem I have is there are some application specific tables
> that I need to read/write on a semi-regular basis (i.e. updating
> user preferences etc. nothing major). I don't want to duplicate
> these tables. What is the best way to handle this?
> Please reply here or e-mail me at bkilner_at_interlog.com

share them !!!
ie. use SQL*Net and database links to use just one copy of the tables; for one instance it would be a local table and for the other it would be a remote table.

If you do this, use synonyms to hide the use of database links

*                          Saad Ahmad                        *
*                          Senior Software Engineer          *
*                          McHugh Freeman & Associates, Inc. *
*                          Ph:  (414) 798-7457               *
*                          Fax: (414) 798-8619               *
*                          E-Mail: sahmad_at_mfa.com            *