Re: ora-1118 (create tablespace)

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_popd.ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/05/04

Mohan Vijay wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Iam getting this error (ora-1118) while trying to create a tablespace.
> The db_files limit which was 30 was made 40, and the database was
> restarted.The interesting thing is the datafile gets physically created
> in the specified directory but cannot be seen thru dba_tablespaces or
> dba_data_files.This is on an AIX running 7.1.4.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Mohan
> ou90764_at_deere.comMohan,

I'm assuming that your database was created with the default value for db_files (generally 30) in the init.ora file and the default value for MAXDATAFILES (also generally 30). DB_FILES represents the maximum number of database files which can be opened at runtime for a given database instance DB_FILES must be >= MAXDATAFILES in order to mount the database. MAXDATAFILES refers to the absolute maximum number of physical database files which can be created for a given database instance. In order to increase MAXDATAFILES, it is necessary to create a new controlfile for your database (not for the faint of heart, but fairly well documented in the Administrator's Guide, and under CREATE CONTROLFILE in the SQL Language Reference).

hope this helps,

regards,
Chuck

*
*   Chuck Wolfe                         Phone: (703)838-9720
*   Senior Consultant                   e-mail:  cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
(Home)
*   NDC Group, Inc                               cwolfe_at_ndcinc.com
(Work)
*   625 Slaters Lane,
*   Suite 102
*   Alexandria, VA 22314
*
*   All the usual discalimers apply, except where otherwise indicated...