Re: WWW interface to databases

From: Vernon Keenan <vkeenan_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/05/04

If you're talking about the ODBC connectivity that's built into IIS, then you should realize there are significant limitations to the "template" approach used by IIS. Any ODBC-based connection will be slower than a native connection as well. The native, PL/SQL-based approach used by Oracle WebServer also gives programmers much more flexibility in generating dynamic, customized HTML pages.

As to the speed of IIS vs. other NT or UNIX web servers, I would say the jury is still out. All of the benchmarks available have been commissioned by the vendors.

Vern

In article <31898e63.5817281_at_news.rust.net>, ab831_at_detroit.freenet.org (Charles Williams) wrote:

> Here! Here! Everything Jeff says is true.
>
> jeff brown <jabrown_at_cris.com> wrote:
>
> >After considerable research, my initial testing seems to indicate that
> >by using an NT/IIS Web server as a front-end, you can make the back-end
> >database platform and software choice an independant one. We have
> >successfully tested web connectivity with the IIS server with a Solaris
> >Box running Oracle. As of today, there is no faster or cheaper solution
> >for a production Web server than IIS, at least when addressing the need
> >to have full-featured access to back-end databases.

> *** Hank Reardon for President! ***
> Chuck Williams --> da228_at_cleveland.freenet.edu

| Vernon Keenan                 | 500 Oracle Parkway       |
| Product Marketing Manager     | Web/Workgroup Division   |
| Oracle Corporation            | Redwood Shores, CA 94065 |
| E-mail: vkeenan_at_us.oracle.com | Phone: (415) 506-4651    |
|                 WWW: http://www.oracle.com/              |